Art at Latchingdon C of E Primary School
We aim to:
- Produce creative work.
- Explore the children’s ideas and record their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Provide opportunities for all children to be creative.
- Inspire a love and curiosity of art that covers a range of genres, forms and cultures.
- Provide opportunity for children to discover an interest and talent in art, build confidence and nurture well-being.
- Broaden the children’s technical vocabulary in art.
- Encourage children to engage with art.
- Make the children proud of their work and encourage them to want to share it with others through our displays.
How we will achieve our aims:
- Giving children the opportunity to develop a range of artistic skills.
- Ensuring that Art is included in cross-curricular lessons.
- Nurturing a resilient learning attitude towards art.
- High quality teaching that is appropriately pitched to individuals.
- Having a curriculum that provides a range of mediums for children to explore.
- Ensuring learning is well pitched and matched to individual needs.
- Ensuring Art and design have a high profile within the school community and children enjoy regular lessons that are highly values.
- Having displays in school that celebrate children’s achievements and progress.
We will know we’ve achieved our aims if:
- Children enjoy art lessons and are confident to try.
- Children discover new interests and talents.
- They confidently apply their artistic knowledge to other areas of learning.
- Children understand how culture and history links to art and design.
- Pupils develop a wider vocabulary and use descriptive language in response to art and design.
- Children demonstrate a love or appreciation of art and talk with increasing confidence about a range of genres and artists.
- Children show great enthusiasm when art and design are included in other areas of the curriculum.