Drama at Latchingdon C of E Primary School
We aim to:
- Prepare poems and play scripts to read aloud and to perform.
- Show understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action so that the meaning is clear to an audience.
- Enable children to explore and express ideas and feelings.
- Help children think about the ‘who, why, where, and when’ elements of stories, events and everyday experiences.
- Help children develop a creative perspective on life and give them freedom of expression.
How we will achieve our aims:
- We enable children to become drama-literate.
- Build the bridge between make-believe and the art form of theatre.
- Develop a child’s ability to enter into the drama world physically, emotionally and intellectually.
- Develop the social skills needed to interact openly, honestly and playfully with others.
- Allow children to co-operate, communicate and problem solve.
- Understand the structures and modes of drama.
- Children to gain a knowledge of drama through exploration of themes drawn from life, whether that be in subject areas or a child’s life.
- Begin the process of using children’s knowledge of drama when exploring life themes from drama literature.
- Form the criteria in which to evaluate drama texts, either written or performed.
- Presenting productions – KS2 in Summer and KS1 at Christmas.
- Teach as part of all subjects e.g. role play in RE/history etc.
We will know we’ve achieved our aims if:
- Children have empathy with, and understanding of, other people and the confidence needed to assume a role or character.
- Children can co-operate with others, out of role, when problems are presented.
- Children co-operate, in role, to keep the drama alive.
- Children have developed the ability to use drama to express a view on a subject that they may have strong feelings about.
- Children have developed personal adaptability, spontaneity, co-operation, verbal skills, non-verbal skills, imagination and creativity; so that the drama they create reflects real life in a fresh way.
- Children are able to understand and appreciate plot and theme.