We aim to:
Music at Latchingdon C of E Primary School aims to provide a broad, balanced and differentiated curriculum and ensure progressive development of music concepts, knowledge, and skills.
How we will achieve our aims:
At Latchingdon C of E Primary School, music teaching is delivered through use of the Charanga scheme of work. Teachers follow the suggested scheme of work, although adaptations can be made using the ‘freestyle’ element of the package to substitute units deemed to be more appropriate for thematic learning in other curriculum areas.
The focus and lessons usually follow a specific learning sequence:
- Listen, perform and Appraise across a range of historical periods, genres and styles.
- Musical Activities (including pulse and rhythm).
- Singing and Voice.
- Have the opportunity to learn to play a musical instrument.
- Improvisation / Composition.
- Explore the history of music, how music is created, produced and communicated.
- Perform and Share.
We will we know we’ve achieved our aims if:
Our music curriculum is planned to demonstrate progression and build on and embed current skills. We measure the success of our music curriculum through the following methods:
- Photo evidence of the pupils practical learning.
- Use of the assessment tools provided within the Charanga scheme.
We aim to use iRock where children sing with musicality and confidence and can maintain an independent melody line when singing together and use musical vocabulary to describe what they hear. As we develop these skills, we expect more children to become inspired to take up an instrument.