PE is highly valued at Latchingdon C of E Primary School and we provide opportunities for celebrating personal areas of strength. We place great emphasis on the wellbeing of all of our children through a broad, balanced and diverse curriculum.
We aim to:
- Encourage a love of learning in all our pupils.
- Develop a love of exercise within our pupils.
- Encourage children to engage in a range of physical activities as soon as they start school, and throughout their school life.
- Provide children with the skills and knowledge to understand the importance of exercise and healthy eating as part of an appropriate lifestyle.
- Enable our pupils to build on and develop their skills and pursue their own interests.
- Provide extra-curricular opportunities for physical activity.
- Provide opportunities to compete against other and other schools.
- Introduce visitors to explore further opportunities for physical activity and to learn about different sports.
How we will achieve our aims:
- PE is taught twice a week, one session is delivered by a sports coach and the other by the class teacher. The children are exposed to the full breadth as detailed in the National Curriculum.
- The Daily Mile to develop wellbeing and continues to operate three times weekly (on non-P.E. days).
- Link with the School Sports Partnership to develop further opportunities for competition and visitors.
- Encourage playground games and train Play Leaders to encourage physical activity outside of P.E. lesson.
We will know we’ve achieved our aims if:
- Children are enthusiastic learners, talking enthusiastically about learning they have enjoyed.
- Children understand the need for a healthy lifestyle.
- Children enjoy physical activity and have opportunities to develop their own strengths.
- Most children reach age-related expectations by the end of the academic year.
- Children are prepared for the next stage in their learning.