At Latchingdon C of E Primary School the emotional, social and cultural development of pupils is very important to us. All children need to learn about relationships, sexual health, sexuality, healthy lifestyles, diversity and personal identity. RSE involves a combination of sharing information and exploring issues and values.
We aim to:
- Protect, inform and empower all children – supporting them to develop their own views and make their own informed decisions.
- Ensure children can encourage themselves and others and form healthy, respectful relationships.
- Develop the knowledge and skills they need to understand the ever-changing world we live in.
- Positive wellbeing is nurtured and encouraged by all.
- Children are taught to respect and embrace a variety of cultures and differences and to understand equality and diversity.
How we will achieve our aims:
- S.H.E. is taught weekly by the class teacher, this incorporates R.S.E. The children are exposed to the full breadth as detailed in the Statutory Requirements.
- High quality resources are use following the guidance from the P.S.H.E Association.
- Provide a supportive, inclusive environment where sensitive discussions can take place.
- Teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies.
We will know we’ve achieved our aims if:
- Children are enthusiastic learners, talking enthusiastically about learning they have enjoyed.
- Children have good personal relationships and understand difference and diversity.
- Children understand how to treat themselves and others with dignity and respect, including sensitivity when discussing issues related to R.S.E.
- Most children reach age-related expectations by the end of the academic year.
- Children are prepared for the next stage in their learning.